Bolibear
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Amumu guide, WIP

3 posters

Go down

My Amumu guide, WIP Empty My Amumu guide, WIP

Post  NJGamer Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

Introducing NJGamer's Guide to:

farao
farao
AMUMU

The AOE King

About me:
I've played jungle for about as long as I've been at level 30 and one of the first junglers i picked up was Amumu. He is probably my favourite champ and i have enjoyed many games as him in Season 2 and Season 3. Jungling has become my favourtie role because of picking up Amumu and i regularly jungle champs such as Maokai, Shaco, Cho'Gath, Diana and Olaf.

What is Amumu like?
Amumu is a Tank or AP DPS champ who excels in teamfights due to his powerful Area of Effect abilities and toughness. His skills allow him to dominate in fights by locking down the enemy team and dealing massive magic damage over extended periods. He synergizes well with Champions that also have AoE spells, such as Miss Fortune and Katarina.
Amumu's skill set is geared towards jungling, a role he dominated in Season 2. With the Season 3 jungle changes he has become weaker but is still a great pick, and his CC-heavy kit means he can stay relevant even if he falls behind. He can be built as either a tank or an AP DPS, but this guide will focus on building Tank Amumu.

Skill Descriptions

Passive: Cursed Touch: This is a status effect applied through auto attacks that reduces magic resist for a few seconds. Amumu can apply it to several different targets simultaneously by changing targets for his autos. Use it to deal more damage and clear minion camps faster.

First ability: Bandage Toss: Bandage Toss is a linear skillshot that stuns the first target hit. Upon hitting a target Amumu is pulled towards the afflicted enemy. This ability is rather slow to cast and may take time to get used to, however it has very long range which allows you to ambush enemies from distant brush.

Skilled usage of this ability often separates average Amumu players from great Amumu players, and after some practice you will be able to apply it in a variety of situations. It can be cast over walls onto creep camps to escape enemies or into even blindly into brush during ganks. While it has massive range its stun is just as useful at close range to lock down an opponent for a longer amount of time.

~Max this last for the reduced cooldown in teamfights; your other abilites deal more reliable damage early/mid game.

Second ability: Despair: Amumu's W creates a damaging aura around him, dealing percentage damage plus a small amount of base damage. Despair makes any sustained fight against Amumu fall into his favour and can enable him to fight multiple champions at once. Despair also helps Amumu clear minion camps due to it scaling off their total health and dealing AoE damage.

Despair stacks with Sunfire Cape, creating a devastating amount of DoT suffering to foes nearby. It also procs Liandry's Torment every half second causing excessive % damage. Turn it on in every teamfight for maximum pain, but remember to deactivate it when no-one is in range or you can pay in mana. With the Blue Buff, this ability can be sustained indefinitely.

~Max it second for more DPS in skirmishes mid game.

Third ability: Tantrum: The definitive jungling ability for Amumu, Tantrum is a AoE nuke with another bonus passive effect: receiving auto attacks will reduce its cooldown by 0.5 seconds and all physical damage is reduced by a small amount. The cooldown redcuing effect is what makes him a great jungler; as the camps keep mindlessly bashing you, your damage output increases. This also applies to enemy champions who are dueling with you, and makes champs who rely on auto attacks and damage over extended periods less suited to fighting Amumu.

In fights and when clearing camps spam this ability for maximum damage. Its mana cost is reasonably low and with a small amount of mana regen it can be easily sustained. Try to position yourself in the middle of your enemies to gain the most out of its AoE. Due to its high damage, attempt to land a basic attack to apply your passive and increase the power of Tantrum.

~Max this first for more tankyness, jungle sustain and clear speed, as well as early fight potential.

Ultimate: Curse of the Sad Mummy: This iconic ability is the reason why Amumu is feared and permabanned throughout Ranked and Draft. Curse of the Sad Mummy blasts the area around Amumu, snaring nearby enemies and dealing a burst of damage. This ability is powerful because of its massive disruptive effect which can potentially lock up an entire team, making it simple for your allies to follow up and take down key targets with ease.

Try to position yourself where you can hit as many enemies as possible, but if you are forced to choose who to ult, aim for the high priority targets (usually the ADC/AP). You can combine CoSM with your Bandage Toss in several ways, either using Bandage Toss to engage upon the target for an ult follow up, or by getting close enough for an ult then using a bandage to lock down a target for even longer. While the enemies are trapped, unload all your AoE damage on the highest priority target you can reach.

~Of course take points in this whenever you can, at levels 6, 11 and 16.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Excellent CC
High AoE damage
Percentage damage
Strong in sustained fights
Can come back from almost any setback in the jungle
Melts most enemies-especially carries
Great initiator
Tanky

Cons:
Susceptible to counter-jungling
Really bad in 1v1s until level 6
Can be mana hungry
Requires your team to be react fast to your ult
Jungles slower than other, single-target junglers
Missing your Bandage Toss can be a critical mistake
Vulnerable to displacements
Permabanned in Ranked and Draft

Items

Amumu can be built as a Tank or a close range AP burster. Because i mainly jungle Amumu, i prefer to build him as a Tank so I can soak up damage for my team while getting off my CC. By itemising for defense Amumu becomes a quick and powerful jungler, pusher and teamfighter and he can take full advantage of his stuns (without getting blown up).

Starting items:

My Amumu guide, WIP Huntersmachete + My Amumu guide, WIP Healthpotion

Ex: Hunter's Machete is an item Riot has pidgeonholed junglers into buying so that you can clear in a reasonable state. Unfortunately, not buying it will set you behind very fast. Its upgrade paths are reasonable but not particularly impressive compared to what else you could be buying.
Get the potions to sustain your first clear and keep your health in a safe state.

Early game items:

My Amumu guide, WIP Philosophersstone + My Amumu guide, WIP Spiritstone or My Amumu guide, WIP Madredsrazors

My Amumu guide, WIP Bootsofspeed

My Amumu guide, WIP Giantsbelt

Ex: On first return buy an upgrade to Hunter's Machete, either Madred's Razors or Spirit Stone. The choice here is of how much sustain you need in the jungle. Buying a Spirit Stone gives more sustain, especially when combined with Philosopher's Stone, but Madred's Razors gives a lot more clear speed. Experience will allow you to make the right decision here.
Also on first return you should buy basic Boots. Mobility is power!
After ganking and jungling to 1000 gold go back again and buy a Giant's Belt. It has many useful build paths and gives versatile tankyness early on.

Last edited by HugglePuffle on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 28 times in total (Reason for editing : Still a WIP ~ pictures :D ~ HugglePuffle ~)
NJGamer
NJGamer

Back to top Go down

My Amumu guide, WIP Empty Things to do

Post  NJGamer Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 pm

[x] intro to me
[x] intro to amumu
[x] skills
[x] pro and cons
[] items
[] matchups
[] jungling guide